B-17 Flying Fortress

The maintenance division’s primary mission was to repair B-17 Flying Fortress engines during World War II. In October 1942, workers repaired 50 engines and tripled the number of successfully repaired engines by November 1942. The workers continuously increased the amount of overhauled engines and by June 1944, the desired goal was approximately 550 engines a month. The unit broke all records for air depots in the United States for the amount of time required to overhaul B-17 engines. (U.S. Air Force photo/Airman 1st Class Mackenzie Richardson)

PHOTO BY:
VIRIN: 160419-F-XX111-002.jpg
FULL SIZE: 0.4 MB
Additional Details

No camera details available.

IMAGE IS PUBLIC DOMAIN

Read More

This photograph is considered public domain and has been cleared for release. If you would like to republish please give the photographer appropriate credit. Further, any commercial or non-commercial use of this photograph or any other DoD image must be made in compliance with guidance found at https://www.dimoc.mil/resources/limitations, which pertains to intellectual property restrictions (e.g., copyright and trademark, including the use of official emblems, insignia, names and slogans), warnings regarding use of images of identifiable personnel, appearance of endorsement, and related matters.