Birchwood hangars

On Sept. 10, 1941, Brig. Gen. Carl Spaatz, Air Corps Chief of the Air Staff, recommended the Northwest Air Depot be located near Spokane, Wash. Construction began on Jan. 19, 1942, after the citizens of Spokane raised approximately $125,000 to purchase 2,400 acres for the depot. The depot, now building 2050, is four Birchwood hangars built with steel girders and concrete. (U.S. Air Force photo/Airman 1st Class Mackenzie Richardson)

PHOTO BY:
VIRIN: 160419-F-XX111-003.jpg
FULL SIZE: 3.9 MB
Additional Details

No camera details available.

IMAGE IS PUBLIC DOMAIN

Read More

This photograph is considered public domain and has been cleared for release. If you would like to republish please give the photographer appropriate credit. Further, any commercial or non-commercial use of this photograph or any other DoD image must be made in compliance with guidance found at https://www.dimoc.mil/resources/limitations, which pertains to intellectual property restrictions (e.g., copyright and trademark, including the use of official emblems, insignia, names and slogans), warnings regarding use of images of identifiable personnel, appearance of endorsement, and related matters.