Changes to TRICARE Retiree Dental Program
By Airman 1st Class Jesenia Landaverde, 92nd Air Refueling Wing Public Affairs
/ Published October 01, 2018
FAIRCHILD AIR FORCE BASE, Wash. -- The TRICARE Retiree Dental Program ends on Dec. 31, 2018. Beginning in 2019, dental and vision plans will be available through the Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program.
Retirees must enroll in FEDVIP during the 2018 Federal Benefit Open Season, which runs from Nov. 12 to Dec. 10, 2018. Coverage will begin Jan. 1, 2019.
FEDVIP offers a choice between 10 dental and four vision options. Retirees who have TRDP, or would have been eligible for the plan this year, will be able to choose a dental plan from among 10 dental carriers in the FEDVIP.
Who is eligible?
• Retired service members and their families who were eligible for TRDP are eligible for FEDVIP dental coverage. They’re also eligible for FEDVIP vision coverage if enrolled in a TRICARE health plan.
• Family members of active duty service members who are enrolled in a TRICARE health plan are eligible for FEDVIP vision coverage.
• Children enrolled in or eligible for TRICARE Young Adult aren’t eligible to enroll in FEDVIP.
When do you enroll?
• You can enroll in FEDVIP during the Federal Benefits Open Season. This year’s open season runs from Nov. 12 through Dec. 10, 2018. Your coverage will begin on Jan. 1, 2019.
• If you currently have TRDP, you must enroll in a FEDVIP plan during the Federal Benefits Open Season to continue dental coverage for 2019.
• The Federal Benefits Open Season is your annual opportunity to enroll in, change, or cancel a FEDVIP dental or vision plan.
Previously, FEDVIP was not available to Department of Defense beneficiaries, but it will now be available to those who would have been eligible for TRDP. Additionally, they will also be able to enroll in FEDVIP vision coverage, along with most active duty family members.
If retirees experience a Qualifying Life Event outside of open season, they can only enroll in a FEDVIP plan that allows them to do so. Any election in a FEDVIP plan remains in effect for the entire calendar year.
Now is a good time to become familiar with FEDVIP options. For more information, visit the FEDVIP website. You can see if you’re eligible for FEDVIP in 2019. You can also compare FEDVIP plans, look up frequently asked questions, and sign up for updates.
For more information, visit the FEDVIP-TRICARE website at www.tricare.benefeds.com and sign up for email notifications. You’ll get an email when new information is available and when key dates approach. Future updates will include eligibility information, plans, carriers, rates, educational webinars and more.