Colonel Russell O. Davis is the 92d Operations Group Commander, Fairchild Air Force Base, Wash. He is responsible for the planning and execution of global aerial refueling and airlift missions in direct support of the Secretary of Defense, Combatant Commanders, and other national and international leaders. He leads a group comprised of 561 Airmen, five squadrons and 44 KC-135R/T aircraft.
Colonel Davis entered the United States Air Force in 1992 via the Delayed Enlistment Program, then commissioned through Officer Training School as a Distinguished Graduate in August 1996. He has served as an Instructor Minuteman III launch control officer and a KC-135 instructor and evaluator pilot. He commanded the 22d Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron (EARS), Transit Center Manas, Kyrgyz Republic and 22d EARS Det 1 in Mazar-e-Sharif, Afghanistan. He has served at Headquarters level for Third Air Force, Air Mobility Command, Pacific Air Forces, United States Transportation Command, and United States Pacific Command. Prior to his current position, Col Davis was the Director of the Strategy Directorate (SRD) in the 618th Air Operations Center (Tanker Airlift Control Center), Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
1995 Associate of Applied Science in Electronic Systems Technology, CCAF, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1995 Bachelor of Science in Systems Management, Summa Cum Laude, Colorado Technical University, Colo. Springs, Colo.
1999 Master of Business Administration, Graduate Honors, Regis University, Denver, Colo.
2003 Squadron Officers School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2005 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., via correspondence
2009 Joint Air Operations Planning Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2009 Executive Development Seminar Silver Certificate, Olin Business School, Washington University, St Louis, Ill.
2009 Army Command and General Staff College, Ft Leavenworth, Kan., via distance learning
2009 Air Force Fellows Program, Joint Mobility Fellow, Scott AFB, Ill. 2010 Master of Military Arts & Science, Theater Operations, School of Advanced Military Studies, Ft Leavenworth, Kan.
2012 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., via correspondence
2017 Advanced Security Cooperation Course, Asia-Pacific Center for Security Studies, Honolulu, Hawaii.
2017 Blue Horizons Fellowship, USAF Center for Strategy and Technology, Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii.
2017 Master of Science, Airpower Strategy and Technology Integration, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2017 Joint and Combined Forces Staff College, Joint Professional Military Education Level II, Norfolk, Va.
2018 Director of Mobility Forces Course, Hurlburt AFB, Florida.
1. August 1992 - September 1992, Basic Trainee, Lackland AFB, Texas.
2. September 1992 - January 1993, Student, Principles of Electronics, Keesler AFB, Miss.
3. January 1993 - May 1996, Crew Chief, Computer Maintenance, 721st Communications Squadron, Cheyenne Mtn AS, Colo.
4. May 1996 - August 1996, Officer Trainee, USAF Officer Training School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
5. August 1996 - May 1997, Student, Undergraduate Space & Missile Training, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
6. May 1997 - November 2000, Instructor Deputy Missile Crew Commander, 320th Missile Squadron; Unit Qualification Training Manager; 90th Operations Support Squadron; Missile Crew Commander; Chief Scheduler/Instructor; Senior Flight Commander, 320th Missile Squadron, F.E. Warren AFB, Wyo.
7. November 2000 - March 2002, Student, Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance AFB, Okla.
8. March 2002 - July 2002, Student, KC-135R Pilot Initial Qual, 54th Combat Crew Training Squadron, Altus AFB, Okla.
9. July 2002 - April 2004, Chief Executive Officer; Flight Commander; Aircraft Commander, KC-135R/T, 905th Air Refueling Squadron, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
10. April 2004 - April 2005, Operations Group Executive Officer, 319th Operations Group, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
11 April 2005 - November 2005. Assistant Ops Officer, Instructor Pilot, KC-135R/T, 905th ARS, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
12. November 2005 - September 2006, Readiness Flight Commander; Mobility Assistant Operations Officer; Evaluator Pilot, KC-135R/T, 351st Air Refueling Squadron RAF Mildenhall, UK..
13. September 2006 - April 2007, Chief Pilot; Chief, Standardization & Evaluation, 100th Operations Grp, RAF Mildenhall, UK.
14. April 2007 - Jun 2009, Executive Officer to the Vice Commander, 3d Air Force, RAF Mildenhall, UK.
15. June 2008 - June 2009, Joint Mobility Fellow, Strategic Plans and Programs Division (A8P); Commanders Action Group (CAG), HQ Air Mobility Command; Congressional Affairs, United States Transportation Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
16. June 2009 - June 2010, Student, School of Advanced Military Studies, Combined Arms Center, Ft Leavenworth, Kan.
17. June 2010 - November 2011, Chief of Strategy and Requirements Development; Chief, Strategy and Theater Posture Branch, Strategy, Policy and Requirements Division; Directorate of Operations, Plans, Requirements & Programs, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Hickam AFB, Hawaii.
18. May 2012 - April 2013, Commander, 22d Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron, Transit Center Manas, Kyrgyz Republic, United States Central Command.
19. May 2013 - May 2015, Chief, East and South-East Asia Contingency Plans Branch; USPACOM Senior Planner; Deputy Chief, Strategic Plans Division (J54); Strategy, Planning and Policy Directorate, Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii.
20. May 2015 - August 2015, Senior Program Manager, China Strategic Initiative, China Strategic Focus Group (J00); Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii.
21. August 2015 - Jul 2016, USPACOM Senior Strategist; Deputy Chief, Strategy and Policy Division (J56); Strategy, Planning and Policy Directorate, Headquarters, United States Pacific Command, Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii.
22. July 2016 - June 2017, Blue Horizons Fellow, USAF Center for Strategy and Technology, Maxwell AFB, AL and Military Professor at the Asia-Pacific Center for Security Studies, Honolulu, Hawaii.
23. June 2017 - July 2018, Director, Strategy Directorate (SRD), 618th Air Operations Center, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
24. July 2018 - Present, Commander, 92d Operations Group, Fairchild AFB, Wash.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2013 - August 2015, USPACOM Senior Planner; Deputy Chief, Strategic Plans Division (J54); Strategy, Planning and Policy Directorate; Senior Program Manager, China Strategic Initiative, China Strategic Focus Group (J00) Headquarters United States Pacific Command, Camp H.M. Smith, as a Lieutenant Colonel
2. August 2015 - July 2016, USPACOM Senior Strategist; Deputy Chief, Strategy and Policy Division (J56); Strategy, Planning and Policy Directorate, Headquarters United States Pacific Command, Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii as a Lieutenant Colonel
Rating: Senior Pilot Flight Hours: More than 2,200 Aircraft Flown/Weapon Systems Qualified: T-37, T-1, KC-135R, KC-135T, Minuteman III ICBM
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two Oak Leaf Clusters
Air Medal with one Silver Oak Leaf Cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal with one Oak Leaf Cluster
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two Oak Leaf Clusters
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Good Conduct Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant August 1996 First Lieutenant August 1998 Captain August 2000 Major August 2006 Lieutenant Colonel November 2011 Colonel January 2018
(Current as of Aug 2018)