Allard "Al" R. Carney is the Director of Staff for the 92nd Air Refueling Wing, Fairchild Air Force Base, Washington. In this position, he develops leaders and supervisors, and manages and coordinates the activities of the Wing staff consisting of 13 agencies and more than 160 personnel, including the comptroller, historian, judge advocate, plans and programs, public affairs, protocol, chaplain, command post, safety, inspector general, military employment opportunity, and equal employment opportunity. Mr. Carney transmits the commander's decisions, directions and policies to staff agencies and subordinate units, ensuring compliance, and directs staff support for employment of the wing's operational forces.
Mr. Carney entered the Air Force in 1977 after graduating from the United States Air Force Academy. While on active duty, he served in numerous capacities including tours as a pilot in trainer, airlift and tanker aircraft, pilot instructor, commander of a KC-135R squadron and an Air Mobility Squadron, in addition to various other staff, operational, and instructor positions.
Mr. Carney retired from the Air Force as a colonel after more than 29 years of active duty service. Prior to his present position, he was the Director of Staff for the 60th Air Mobility Wing, Travis AFB, Calif.
1977 Bachelor of science degree in chemistry, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
1986 Master of Science degree in chemistry, University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, Ill.
1991 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1997 Master of Science in National Security Strategy, National Defense University, National War College, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. 1977 - 1978, Student pilot training, Columbus AFB, Miss.
2. 1978 - 1982, T-38 instructor pilot, Columbus AFB, Miss.
3. 1982 - 1985, C-141 aircraft commander, Wing Plans Officer, McChord AFB, Wash.
4. 1985 - 1986, Student, University of Illinois Graduate School
5. 1986 - 1990, Assistant professor of chemistry, T-41 instructor pilot, United States Air Force
6. 1990 - 1991, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. 1991 - 1993, Staff officer, executive assistant to the J30, HQ USCINCPAC, Camp Smith, Hawaii
8. 1993 - 1996, Flight commander, squadron commander, Fairchild AFB, Wash.
9. 1996 - 1997, Student, National War College, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
10. 1997 - 2000, Executive assistant to the J5, and Chief of South East Asia, South Asia, Oceania
Policy Division, Camp Smith, Hawaii
11. 2000 - 2001, Director of Staff, Fifteenth Air Force, Travis AFB, Calif.
12. 2001 - 2003, Commander, 732d Air Mobility Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
13. 2003 - 2003, Chief, Aircrew Standardization and Evaluation Branch, Headquarters 15th Air Force, Travis AFB, Calif.
14. 2003 - 2006 Director of Staff, Travis AFB, Calif.
15. 2006 - Present, Director of Staff, Fairchild AFB, Wash.
AWARDS AND HONORS:
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal
(Current as of Nov 2006)