|COLONEL BRIAN M NEWBERRY|
Colonel Brian M. Newberry is the Commander, 92nd Air Refueling Wing, Fairchild Air Force Base, Wash. The wing provides global reach airpower and deploys expeditionary forces in support of worldwide combat, contingency, and humanitarian requirements. The wing operates 35 KC-135 Stratotanker aircraft performing air refueling, airlift and aeromedical evacuation missions supporting US and coalition contingency operations and USSTRATCOM strategic deterrence missions. As installation commander, he is also responsible for activities and assigned functions of Fairchild Air Force Base and support for 19 associate units.
Colonel Newberry entered the Air Force in 1991 as a distinguished military graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy. He has flown as an evaluator pilot in the C-17A Globemaster III and has flown missions in support of Operations ENDURING FREEDOM, IRAQI FREEDOM and ALLIED FORCE, and served as the 817th Expeditionary Airlift Squadron commander at Incirlik Air Base, Turkey, in 2007. Prior to assuming his current position, Colonel Newberry was the Commander, 376th Expeditionary Operations Group, Transit Center at Manas, Kyrgyz Republic, directing aerial refueling, airlift, onward movement of troops to Afghanistan and strengthening the partnership with the Kyrgyz Republic.
Colonel Newberry is a command pilot with more than 4,300 flying hours and 397 combat hours in the C-17A, KC-135R/T, EC-135C, T-38 and T-37.
1991 Distinguished graduate, Bachelor of Science Degree in Political Science, U.S. Air Force Academy,
Colorado Springs, Colo.
1993 Master of Public Management, University of Maryland-College Park, Md.
1996 Distinguished graduate, Squadron Officer School, correspondence/in-residence, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2001 Air Mobility Operations Course, Air Mobility Warfare Center, McGuire AFB, N.J.
2004 Distinguished graduate, Master of Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College correspondence/in-residence, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2005 Master of Military Art and Science, School of Advanced Military Studies, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
2006 Air War College by correspondence
2006 Senior Officer Tactics Course, Air Mobility Warfare Center, McGuire AFB, N.J.
2009 Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2011 Senior Development Education, Woodrow Wilson Center, Washington, D.C.
1. August 1991 - May 1993, student, Air Force Institute of Technology, Univ. of Maryland, College Park, Md.
2. June 1993 - July 1994, student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
3. August 1994 - October 1998, executive officer, instructor aircraft commander EC/KC-135, 55th Operations Group, Offutt AFB, Neb.
4. November 1998 - February 2002, wing mission director, instructor/evaluator aircraft commander C-17A, 437th Operations Group, Charleston AFB, S.C.
5. March 2002 - June 2003, Commander, 97th Operations Flight, Combat Crew Training School instructor and aircraft commander C-17A, 97th Operations Group, Altus AFB, Okla.
6. July 2003 - June 2004, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. July 2004 - May 2005, student, School of Advanced Military Studies, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
8. June 2005 - June 2006, Chief, Joint Operations Branch, Concept, Strategy and Wargaming Division,
Headquarters Air Force, Washington D.C.
9. July 2006 - January 2007, Chief of Safety, 62nd Airlift Wing, McChord AFB, Wash.
10. January 2007 - July 2008, Commander, 7th Airlift Squadron, McChord AFB, Wash.
11. July 2008 - July 2010, deputy chief, Joint Operational War Plans Division, Joint Staff, J-7, Washington D.C.
12. July 2010 - June 2011, Air Force National Defense Fellow, Woodrow Wilson Center, Washington D.C.
13. July 2011 - June 2012, Commander, 376th Expeditionary Operations Group, Transit Center at Manas, Kyrgyz Republic
14. August 2012 - present, Commander, 92nd Air Refueling Wing, Fairchild AFB, Wash.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight Hours: More than 4,300
Aircraft Flown: C-17A, KC-135R/T, EC-135C, T-38, T-37
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 29, 1991
First Lieutenant May 29, 1993
Captain May 29, 1995
Major March 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2006
Colonel Oct. 1, 2009
(Current as of August 2012)